Re: "See" and "Utilize"

Subject: Re: "See" and "Utilize"
From: Katherine Pyle <kathpyle -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 09:29:29 -0800

>> If I see the word "see" used ONE MORE TIME in documentation to reference
>> another document I'm gonna lose my lunch! We "see" with our eyes. We
>> "refer" to a document.....

On the other hand, I feel like SCREAMING every time I see a manual that
tells the reader to "refer to page ###" or "refer to Blankety blank manual"
because, to me, that usage is WRONG.

Why? Because of what I find when I look up the synonyms for "refer" and
"see" in a thesaurus, and what happens if I drop these synonyms or related
words into the sentence in question.

"REFER: (1) ascribe; (2) call or direct attention to something ["no one ever
refered to his divorce"]. synonyms: advert, allude, bring up, point out.
related words: insert, intertpolate, introduce, cite, quote, instance,
mention, name, specify, glance, touch"

"SEE: (1) to take cognizance of by physical or mental vision [he saw that
the boat was being driven ashore]; (2) to perceive something by means of the
eyes
synonyms: behold, note, notice, obseve, view, (etc.)
related: examine, inspect, scan, scrutinize, consider, study, appraise,
oponder, (etc.)
(other, additional meanings, synonyms, and related words omitted here)"

I definately don't want the reader to cite, or allude to, or glance at the
named page or section; I want them to view, examine, and ponder it!!

Katherine Pyle
Berkeley, California, USA