Re: We need a specialized doc set- advice?

Subject: Re: We need a specialized doc set- advice?
From: Rick Sapir <rick_sapir -at- GILBARCO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 08:15:12 -0800

This is a Mime message, which your current mail reader
may not understand. Parts of the message will appear as
text. To process the remainder, you will need to use a Mime
compatible mail reader. Contact your vendor for details.

--IMA.Boundary.938238428

You could use FrameMaker's conditional text to create a single
document with conditions A-I. Then simply "turn on" the conditions
that you want when you create a PDF file.

Rick Sapir Gilbarco, Inc.
Technical Communicator Greensboro, NC
Rick_Sapir -at- gilbarco -dot- com
DISCLAIMER: Speaking for no one but myself.

"Ideas withheld or repressed are automatically imbued - Jeff Heiskell
with a false sense of mystery and intrigue." The JudyBats

>Subject: We need a specialized doc set- advice?
>From: jblair -at- creo -dot- bc -dot- ca at ~GATEWAY
>Date: 2/19/96 3:53 PM

[snip]

> Now, the company is starting to go modular; i.e., everything will be
> sold separately as well as in bundles. We need to come up with
> formatting, organizing, and binding options for the manuals based on
> the future 'modularity' of our products.

> Unfortunately, this is not as simple as writing smaller manuals for
> each product and issuing and bundling them at the time of sale.
> Because of the interdependence of the products, there needs to be
> information on how the products will be used with other products. For
> example, B could be sold with A-E, but it could also be sold by
> itself, and the user might want to use it with *any* of our other
> products, or with other companies' products.

> We've been thinking about PDF as a way of quickly customizing docs,
> but this hasn't developed beyond the speculative stage.
--IMA.Boundary.938238428

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 15:53:40 PST
Sender: "Technical Writers List; for all Technical Communication issues" <TECHWR-
L -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu>
From: jblair -at- creo -dot- bc -dot- ca
Subject: We need a specialized doc set- advice?
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu>
--IMA.Boundary.938238428--