Re: "See" and "Utilize"

Subject: Re: "See" and "Utilize"
From: "Colleen Dancer (02) 333-1862" <DANCER -dot- COLLEEN -at- A2 -dot- ABC -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 09:37:00 +1100

Kent Newton said "unfortunately _v_ (which is short for the latin _vide_
[imperative form of "see"]) will really be understood only by educated
readers. I don't mean to sound elitist, but many bright readers don't
understand or remember these literary convetions we learned in high
school and college."

I would go further than that, don't use it except to a scientific
community or latin teachers or possibly English teachers. I am
university educated with good marks in High School English and I had
never heard of it before. So I will bet my bottom dollar that a large
proportion of the community don't know it either. I do know the
difference between ie and eg although I didn't know their latin
translations. Remember that at least in countries like Australia most of
us do not learn Latin any more.

Colleen Dancer
dancer -dot- colleen -at- a2 -dot- abc -dot- net -dot- au