Re[2]: Bickering/defamation (off topic/short)

Subject: Re[2]: Bickering/defamation (off topic/short)
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 07:08:00 -0600

There was something recently about a financial service (?) suing
Prodigy (?) over remarks about it that someone made in a forum
there.

I don't remember how it came out. ...RM

Prodigy asked for summary dismissal, on the grounds that they are no more
liable than the mail services or the phone companies for what is said in
their medium, but the court rejected that motion on the grounds that since
Prodigy exercises some editorial control over content it is possible that
they might be held liable. AFAIK, the case hasn't gone any farther than
that, yet.

The thing that annoyed me most about Prodigy's stance (and that of the
other on-line companies as well) is that they seem to want all the
advantages of common carrier status without any of the responsibilities
that go along with it. Nice work if you can get it.

Have fun,
Arlen

arlen -dot- p -dot- walker -at- jci -dot- com
In God we trust, all others must supply data