Evaluating Online Help

Subject: Evaluating Online Help
From: Jim Grey <jimgrey -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 20:43:00 EST

Greetings, TechWhirlers! I've just returned to the technical writing fold
after spending a year and a half editing computer books. The publishing biz
turned out to be a real grind. (Next time you're at a bookstore, look up
_PC SECRETS, 2nd Edition_, and _Mac and Power Mac SECRETS, 3rd Edition_ --
the projects that broke my back.) I've just started with a small software
company called Marketing Resources Plus as an "Author/Developer." MRP
creates software for the advertising industry. I'll be writing Windows Help
and developing computer-based training for one of MRP's products.

We're gearing up to evaluate the in-place Windows Help system. We'll be
surveying users to find out what works for them and what doesn't. So, I ask
you: Do you know of, and can you recommend, any articles or books that will
help us plan an effective evaluation strategy?

Furthermore, I have no schooling in instructional design. I developed a few
courses for a previous employer, not really knowing what I was doing, but
students seemed to find the courses effective. I'd like to study
instructional design before I get too entrenched in developing CBT! Again,
can you recommend any articles or books on this topic?

Glad to be back.

Peace,
jim
--
jim grey |beebeebumbleandthestingersmottthehoopleraycharlessingers
jimgrey -at- iquest -dot- net|lonniemackandtwangin'eddiehere'smyringwe'regoingsteadyta