what's a senior tech writer?

Subject: what's a senior tech writer?
From: kellyk -at- CYBEROPTICS -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 08:50:53 -0600

We recently advertized for a technical writer. Most of the resumes we
recieved listed "senior tech. writer" as an objective. Even
programmers who wanted to move into writing listed senior. All writers
who submitted resumes listed senior as a past job title.

My assumption is that senior was added to bump up salary expectations
in most cases. Am I correct?

Also, when does a writer become a senior writer? I would hope senior
could be based on more than just time served as a working tech writer.

We'll be hiring again this spring & I want to be as objective as
possible in my evaluation of resumes. (I got to the point where I
started to roll my eyes every time I read "senior technical writer.")

Please send responses to kellyk -at- cyber -dot- com

Thanks.

Kelly M. Kremin
CyberOptics Corp
Minneapolis, MN