Moving Target - Part 2 (Databases)

Subject: Moving Target - Part 2 (Databases)
From: Emily Skarzenski <eskarzenski -at- DTTUS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 10:31:00 CST

Eric Ray wrote:

> I'm having a horrible time getting to the screens because
> the development environment database is hosed.
<snip>
> How many of you have dedicated Training/Documentation databases for
> your development projects?

We've had problems with this where I work, too. We need several
different environments: at least two for development, one for QA, one
for sales demos, one for training...

It took much begging and pleading to get a separate environment for
training. We don't have a separate one for doc. We usually piggyback
on one of the development environments. This usually works OK,
although they're frequently off-limits because the programmers are
"trying something". We muddle through this as best we can.

The designers usually set up data that works -- or data that *should*
work. Let's just say that we (writers & trainers) have become an
instrumental step in the testing process.

It's uncomfortable. And because the environments are so expensive
(hardware, software, IS assistance), we haven't found a comfortable
resolution -- yet.

Emily M. Skarzenski
Deloitte & Touche/ICS - Chadds Ford, PA
eskarzenski -at- dttus -dot- com