Object Oriented ?

Subject: Object Oriented ?
From: Mark Merkow <mmerkow -at- ASU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 18:54:21 -0700

Like Bob Morse says, the metaphor, "Object Oriented" is very poor to
describe the model, but it stems from a contrast to "Functionally
Oriented", which is how most development was done (and still is, in
many cases). However, the ability to view a problem as a system of
objects that can interact without needing to share common memory stems
from acts of genius over the course of 20 years.

Object Oriented Programming is the context we see OO used most, but
programming alone fails to capitize on the value of the approach.

By analyzing a problem in terms of how 'things' behave, and the
information they require to solve the problems at hand is the ONLY way
to make good use of the technology. Without good modeling techniques,
a program written in an OO language will not yield an OO system, and, in fact, may be more difficult to use since it's not replicating
what goes on in the 'real world'. Two good books help to explain the
distinction, the history behind OO, and ways to get traditional
developers thinking in 'Object Oriented' mode. Object Oriented
Analysis by Peter Coad and Ed Yourdan is one, and the other is
called, "The Decline and Fall of the American Programmer" by Ed
Yourdan. For those developers thinking that COBOL still rules, they
provide some eye-opening insights.

Last year I wrote an article on the topic called, "Objects of
Desire",and I'd be happy to post it to the list if anyone is interested.
It's a management summary of OO technique and tries to explain the value
and benefits from using OO analysis, design, and development
methodologies in I/S organizations.

Thanks for the ear ...

Mark Merkow, CCP
Sr. Software Engineer
American Express Co.
e-mail: mmerkow -at- imap1 -dot- asu -dot- edu, or Mark -dot- 2 -dot- Merkow -at- aexp -dot- com
WWW: http://public.asu.edu/~mmerkow