Re: Electronic File Transfer

Subject: Re: Electronic File Transfer
From: Bruce WHITE <WHITE -at- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 10:20:20 UT

"Bar-Haim, Pam" wrote...
>>Can anyone offer pros and cons of using Acrobat? Comment on the file sizes?
Does anyone know of a good alternative?

Biases upfront:
I edit text into hypertext using WinHelp. I don't do Acrobat.

WinHelp files:
* do not allow the recipient to change the file
* are compressed
* can be started by double clicking the file in File Manager
* have a reader, WinHelp.exe, that is issued standard with Windows
* have a reader that loads very quickly
* are extensible using WinHelp macros and custom DLLs
* allow users to view, read and search for key words in the documents

You can index these files and provide full text search as well with a DLL.
Have a look at the WinHelp files provided with Word or Paintshop Pro.

WinHelp has a large (connected) community of people who can help you if you
get stuck. Visit the newsgroup,
(comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.winhelp) to see some of this community.

Acrobat has a reader that the user has to install, this puts some people off.

Some one who uses Acrobat may correct this, but my impression is that Acrobat
is a "Save As" option for DTP and is chiefly designed for output to a user's
printer......Bruce.....
WinHelp IT Editing
white -at- msn -dot- com
Go WHITEbook on MSN