Re: style guidelines

Subject: Re: style guidelines
From: Ian Macdonald <imacd -at- PC -dot- JARING -dot- MY>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 1996 09:07:58 -0500

At 11:27 AM 1/3/96 -0600, Ruth Glaser wrote:
<snip>

>Does anyone have an opinion/rule of thumb regarding a maximum number of
>paragraph tags/fonts to use in a document?

Ruth,

My rule of thumb is "keep it simple".

The whole idea of using tags is to help enforce consistency in the look of a
page/document. The number of tags will depend on the number of elements that
you have in a document: headings, body text, bullet lists, numbered lists,
indented paragraphs, etc.

The advice I would give is to define the minimum number of tags that you
think you need. It is easy to add new tags if needed. It is somewhat more
difficult to remove tags that someone has used!

Using fonts: in general no more than two in a document. All headings should
use the same font with size and style attributes to show levels, all body
text elements (body text, lists, etc.) should use the same font. Special
fonts can be used in special situations, for example, courier to format
actual data entry, or code examples.

This approach has worked well for me over the years for both technical and
marketing type publications.

Good luck...

Ian Macdonald Tel: +03 452 7553
WriTech Fax: +03 453 2910
Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia e-mail: imacd -at- pc -dot- jaring -dot- my