Re: Acrobat vs OS/2

Subject: Re: Acrobat vs OS/2
From: soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 23:05:22 -0600

In <2 -dot- 2 -dot- 32 -dot- 19960304175453 -dot- 006f8dc0 -at- c2 -dot- org>, on 03/04/96 at 09:54 AM,
Richard Mateosian <srm -at- c2 -dot- org> said:

>>My one beef is that, once again, Adobe has handily ignored a particular
>>major platform in their viewer support...

>>I can view WinHelp files on my OS/2 system, but I can't
>>view Acrobat files unless I have Windows support installed.

>Was I meant to infer from this that you consider OS/2 without Windows
>support to be a major platform? ...RM

I consider OS/2 to be a major platform, period. Windows support is an
add-on, just as it is with DOS. For many systems, it's unnecessary.
Having to install it just to run one or two apps (such as an Acrobat
reader) reduces it from a major GUI environment to a 12MB runtime.

In my case, every one of the apps on my home system is native 32-bit OS/2.
I have a couple DOS games, and a couple Windows games that I can live
without. The whole reason Windows is on my home system is to run a
remote-access application from my bank. In this instance, I need 10-12MB
of "stuff" that serves no other real purpose than to run a 3MB program
(and a buggy, poorly-written one at that).

Your friend and mine,
Matt
"Maybe all I need, besides my pills and surgery,
is a new metaphor for... reality." -- Queensryche

Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of Next Level
Productions, or anyone else of sound mind from this planet or
dimension!