Using Font Types

Subject: Using Font Types
From: Beth Jankowski <bjj -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 19:32:17 GMT

I would like to get feedback on how you are using typographic
conventions in documentation for software applications.

Recently, I picked up a copy of _The Microsoft Manual of Style for
Technical Publications_ and I have found some excellent standards set
there. One I have a problem with is the suggested typographic
convention for key names. They say to use small caps. This looks great
for the user guide, but comiles to small, crude text in the help
system. Another possibility is to not change the font, but always
include "button" after the name (as in "Click the Done button.")

We already use bold type for dialog box and tab names so users can
easily follow where they are in the application, so, I don't want to
bold the button names.

Also, what typographic conventions are you using for field names?

Thanks to all for your feedback.

Beth Jankowski
First Chicago NBD
bjj -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com