Re: How to edit constructively?

Subject: Re: How to edit constructively?
From: David Fisher <DAF -dot- DSKPO27B -at- DSKBGW1 -dot- ITG -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 08:04:23 CST

Glenda asked
<snip>
Can anyone post some suggestions on how to edit a writer's work so
that you help the writer to improve? That is, what is the best way
to supply constructive criticism?
<snip>
We have had a similar dilemma in our group. Do you rewrite someone's work?
(time consuming) Correct the writer's work like a college English assignment?
(embarrassing for the writer and time consuming for the grader) Give up?
(unfeasable)

My suggestion is that you find a writing book that you think covers the basics
of the problem. Stunk and White and the Chicago manual of style are a good
starting place, but some writing books are better at explaining the writing
process. Suggest what chapters would help and from then on simply mark a
chapter number on the edited copy for reference. It is a little embarrassing to
start with, but it will yield a much better writer.

My $.02,

David Fisher
dfisher2 -at- ti -dot- com