OL Help 3rd Party Books-Replies

Subject: OL Help 3rd Party Books-Replies
From: "Dimock, Dick" <red -at- ELSEGUNDOCA -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 12:16:00 PST

Hiya, List!

I asked for info on 3rd Party books (like in bookstores) about
On Line Help. I then received a few requests from others for
the results.

Since I have not taken time to ask permission of the authors to
post, I shall digest their info and cast forth a masticated version. :)

1a.

Boggan et al. are supposed to be out with a new
edition of their swell Developing Online Help. The original edition
included a groovy disk with Word 2.0 templates which gave you a kind
of Volkswagon version of RoboHelp. I would expect their new book
would cover the new Word.

1b
My first suggestions for online help books (commercially available) would be

the Farkas/Boggan/Welinske "Developing Online Help for Windows" or

********
2.a
Mary Deaton's "Designing Online Help" - both of which should be orderable
(if not
available) at a competent computerbookstore. I develop systems both with
and without help authoring tools, and those two books helped me understand
the why of what I was doing and simplified the what.

2b maybe same as above
Mary Deaton & Cheryl Zubak's Designing Windows 95 Help from QUE books.
ISBN 0-7897-0362-9 684 pp. US$49.99
This is more advanced than the MSPress book.
The CD has files on Authoring Tools (HDK got left out somehow), consultants,

extensive help files on various design problems & copies of various
utilities.

**********

Microsoft Press has also just published the Microsoft Windows 95 Help
Authoring Kit. ISBN 1-55615-892-0. 328 pp. US$49.95.
The CD contains (about 1.4MB of files) including the Help compiler.
Hcrtf.exe & Hcw.exe 9/16/95, version 4.01.0950

Plus I got advice to avoid DOS help, since all the jobs are for Windows
Help. Sigh.

Thanks to all who responded!

Best regards,

Dick Dimock Ol' Artfully is trying to learn a thing or two
in spite of ***no, delete that!** say "at" at

NCR Corp Which pays lotsa taxes to

El Segundo, CA Which gleefully accepts said taxes.

richard -dot- dimock -at- elsegundoca -dot- attgis -dot- com