Re: Royalties from TECHWR-L ???

Subject: Re: Royalties from TECHWR-L ???
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 11:16:45 HST

>>You dassn't open yer mouth, or pen an e-mail msg, to
opine on any subject, if you could realistically be sued
over it, eh?<<

I'm surprised that some of the commercial online services that have suffered
libel suits because of messages posted by subscribers haven't turned around and
sued the subscribers who posted the material.

Copyright is a very old issue; just read Ted Nelson's "Computer Lib/Dream
Machines" and other writings about hypertext. In his original view, the
hypertext system would include automatic system support to track links between
documents and a mechanism for charging for use and distributing royalties to
authors. In the rush onto the Internet, this seems to have been forgotten.

The whole area of copyright and liability is still very vague in connection
with the Internet. Someday, the legal system will have developed a clear body
of law and precedents!

David Jones, Technical Writer
David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- Datahub -dot- com
Kamehameha Schools Bishop Estate

DISCLAIMER:
"I do not speak for my employer, my computer, or any other living thing."