Re: quotation needed

Subject: Re: quotation needed
From: Binion Amerson <aba -at- OC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 15:49:40 -0600

Kathleen Walch wrote:

>I am a graduate student in the Technical Communication program at
>North Carolina State University. I am updating the Home Page for
>the MS in Technical Communication program at NCSU, and I am
>looking for a quotation that would reflect what technical
>communicators do or what technical communication is about. Can
>anyone help? If you have something that I may be able to use,
>please contact me.

Here is a phrase that I wrote which you might want to consider. I think it
is useful in telling others what we professional technical communicators
do. It is:

When Communicating Technology Is Critical To Your Success:
* Become a complete technical communicator.
* Keep up with trends and technologies.
* Join the technical communication profession.
* Support STC.
* Join STC.

Simply put, we technical communicators communicate technology. Of course,
technology may involve high-tech, medical, science, and environmental
information--to name some of the fields with which we are involved.

The phrase "When Communicating Technology is Critical to Your Success . .
." can be followed with a variety of endings. The above are just a few.
In your case, you could use: "When Communicating Technology is Critical to
Your Success, Earn a Master of Science Degree in Technical Communication
from North Carolina State University."

I have successfully used the "When Communicating Technology is Critical to
Your Success . . ." phrase in several lectures that I have presented. And,
I'll be talking on the subject "When Communicating Technology is Critical
to Your Success: Keeping Up With Trends and Technology" at the STC Region 3
Student Conference to be held March 30 at Mercer University in Macon,
Georgia.

You will find the phrase several times on my WWW site at:

http://www.daylilies.com/daylilies/aba.html

I am sure that there are many other quotes that you can use in your NCSU
Technical Communication Program. I happen to like the one I've suggested.
Hope this helps.

Regards,

Binion Amerson
Director-Sponsor STC Region 5

Binion Amerson, Senior Technical Writer, OpenConnect Systems, 2711 LBJ,
Suite 800, Dallas, TX 75234, Ph 214/888-0447; Fax 214/484-6100;
E-mail (B): aba -at- oc -dot- com (H): aba -at- unicomp -dot- net STC URL http://stc.org
Director-Sponsor, Society for Technical Communication (STC) Region 5.
Candidate, STC Second Vice President
URL http://www.daylilies.com/daylilies/aba.html