Re: Web sites I will never visit again

Subject: Re: Web sites I will never visit again
From: Nancy Hayes <nancyh -at- PMAFIRE -dot- INEL -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 23:57:20 GMT

In article <960229151914_76711 -dot- 2557_FHD72-6 -at- CompuServe -dot- COM>,
Peter Kent <76711 -dot- 2557 -at- compuserve -dot- com> wrote:

>do it, everyone _is_ doing it, but not everyone knows how to do it well.
>My pet peeve about the Web is that everyone seems to think that Web pages have
>to be "cool."

Oh, yes. Just because it's done with a computer and some "fancy" codes, it's
perfectly acceptable to ignore, misuse, or otherwise twist any concept of
good design, writing, etc. Oh, well, it's a new language and a new
toy. It's like the fonts on the DTPs. Just because your program has
eighty fonts and eight hundred colors, does =not= mean it's a good idea
to use them all.

On a slightly different note, one of the things I =like= about some of my
favorite Web sites is that you can access them with a tradional viewer or
a non-graphic interface and get to the information. Here at work, the access
to Netscape is -extremely- temperamental. It's easier, quicker, and much
less frustrating to go through Lynx.

Now, on top of all our varied other skills, we need to learn how to design
for the screen (as opposed to write for paper). I love it. <absolutely no
saracasm intended>

Nancy Lynn Hayes (nancyh -at- pmafire -dot- inel -dot- gov) Carpe Diem
Seize the Day!