Re: Ancestor worship (was Tech writing in Europe)

Subject: Re: Ancestor worship (was Tech writing in Europe)
From: John Hedtke <jhedtke -at- OZ -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 23:55:42 GMT

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com> wrote:

<snip>
>> Generally this will only help you in Germany . . . If you can
>> show that several hundred years ago your ancestors lived in
>> what later became Germany, you can get German citizenship
>> quite easily--many Romanians, for instance, were able to do
>> this (exactly how you prove it I've no idea).

>Several hundred years ago? My goodness. That's very
>interesting. So I could go over there and get citizenship on the
>strength of some ancestors who chose to leave Germany in the
>1700s, but current Turkish guest workers who have chosen to be in
>Germany for quite a long time could not. Seems unfair to me, but
>I'm sure that's my cultural bias.

>I thought I heard something about this in Ireland, too -- except
>that to get Irish citizenship I thought you had to have no Irish
>ancestor more remote than a grandparent -- but then somebody else
>pointed out that there is already a superabundance of English
>speakers in that part of the world, so it might be hard for a
>non-local person to get a job. :-)

Well, I'm SOL for Ireland, but I have an abundance of German ancestors
as recently as great-grandparents and stretching back to when the
Germans were just a bunch of bad-tempered tribes, no doubt. Has
anyone any additional information? Getting dual citizenship could be
very helpful at times.

John Hedtke
.rorrim ot rotinom dloH