Re: Interleaf and Sun work stations

Subject: Re: Interleaf and Sun work stations
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 09:13:05 PST

Jim House writes:

>Could someone please write me a quick overview of how interleaf and sun work
>stations operate. Just the most basic basics. :)

I don't know what you're asking for. Interleaf is THE high-end
desktop publishing package, geared toward complex technical documentation
that involves more than one author, a high degree of maintanence or updating,
multiple simultaneous versions, on-line publishing, and so on. It's
perfect for tech pubs organizations that value productivity and invest
in training (most fail on both counts).

For example, the pharmaceutical industry relies on Interleaf as the
regulatory agency dragon slayer. Push a button, and the truckload
of FDA paperwork is printed. Push another button, and the truckload
of Canadian paperwork is printed. (All this requires a great deal of
up-front work, of course, but it pays off big.)

On the other hand, the high-tech semiconductor and EDA software tools
industries seem to be unwilling to invest in training, and are abandoning
Interleaf in favor of FrameMaker. They figure that they can get the
same bad results for less money by putting their untrained employees and
temps (and their untrained managers) on Frame. They're right, sort of,
but the insistence on avoiding training at all costs is crazy.

As to your second question, a Sun workstation is a computer.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, President/Managing Editor, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139