Re: Requesting Posting Courtesy

Subject: Re: Requesting Posting Courtesy
From: Kent Newton <KentN -at- METRIX-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 13:19:00 PST

On Friday, March 15, 1996 7:22 AM, Richard Mateosian responded to my
request that posters include their email address in their posts:

>However, if you're angry about the situation, why not direct your anger
>toward the person who controls the solution: your system administrator.
<snipped>

I'm sorry if I came across as angry. I didn't intend to. Troubled,
maybe. Frustrated, probably. Angry, no.

>Lecturing your fellow list members about "courtesy" is neither the most
>appropriate channel for your anger nor the most effective way to address
the
>problem. Just as you complain about not being able to see headers, other
>list members may not be able to use signature files.

I wasn't"lecturing" members about "courtesy," I was requesting it. There
is a difference. And users don't need to use a signature file to include
an email address. They can type it just like they type the rest of their
message. That's what I did before I got an add-on to Exchange which
provided a signature file.

>Even if everyone on the list today put their email addresses into the
bodies
>of their messages, someone would join tomorrow who didn't know about the
>inadequacies of your email reader. ...RM

True, new users would not know of my program's shortcomings. However,
I'm sure that all new users receive a copy of the list's FAQ (I did).
And if they don't, it is posted on a regular basis. The FAQ provides
guidelines for posting, which includes (and I quote):

"5. To assist in the use of private email when appropriate, please try
to include your email address in the body of any list contribution you
make."

So I don't think I was out of line making my request, or in reminding all
the posters that not all users have same access to information. If my
request offended anybody (which it seems to have), I apologize.

Kent Newton
Senior Technical Writer
Metrix, Inc.
kentn -at- metrix-inc -dot- com