Re: Framemaker knuckles under.

Subject: Re: Framemaker knuckles under.
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 17:47:00 EST

At 01:56 PM 3/17/96 -0600, you wrote:
>This is an announcement that was posted a few days ago. I used to
>recommend Framemaker as the most fully-cross-platform publishing package
>available. Now that Adobe has gotten their grubby mitts on it, I can't do
>that anymore. Pity - another one bites the dust.

> We regret to inform our customers that after careful consideration
> following Adobe Systems' acquisition of Frame Technology in 1995, Adobe
> will discontinue development of Adobe FrameMaker and FrameViewer
> products for the OS/2 platform.

Maybe it's a pity to the lonely OS/2 users, but I can understand Frame's
business decision. Fully fifty percent of Frame's business is in UNIX
environments, so any others take up a correspondingly smaller share of
profitability. Mac and Windows just about fill the remainder, so OS/2 was a
major drain on resources without a corresponding profit incentive.
Frame/Adobe doesn't develop for GEM, either, or any number of other defunct
or minority operating systems. But you can still recommend Frame as
cross-platform from a processor point of view. It'll work on damn near any
microprocessor made.

Tim Altom
Vice President
Simply Written, Inc.