Re: on custom-built documents & feature databases...

Subject: Re: on custom-built documents & feature databases...
From: "tina (c.l.) klein" <cklein -at- BNR -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 08:05:00 -0500

Tim, thank you for the reply.

Let me rephrase the question.

Suppose we have implemented a conditional text solution that
hasn't worked AND suppose that a move to Frame+SGML is around the
corner. Half the users are trained, and training for the other
half is scheduled. We are anticipating delivery of new
structured templates in April and we will have ongoing
opportunity to influence them to support our suite-specific
needs. Suppose there are several thousand pages in the
legacy suite. Suppose we work for a very large corporation
and can have as much computing space as we require. Suppose
we get a dozen new features every 3-6 months. Suppose we have
a team of ten senior technical writers poised to embrace
any technologically feasible solution and unlimited training
and book budgets?

While this doesn't quite accurately reflect our situation, the
real idea is that given NO CONSTRAINTS how can the problem be
solved?

Who has used SGML to store information in chunks and extract
them on demand to form a manual that's specific to the
features/modules that a user buys? Who has used other solutions?
Who has read about theoritical other solutions? Who wants to
discuss them?