Re: A Preposition *WHERE*?

Subject: Re: A Preposition *WHERE*?
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 07:27:18 -0800

>I just gag when I come across "to which" in documentation since it comes
>across as stuffy and formal, and interrups the flow.

I had an editor once who took every instance of "whose" referring to a
non-person and replaced it with "of which the."

"The program logs the name of each calling program whose arguments are in
the old format."

becomes

"The program logs the name of each calling program of which the arguments
are in the old format."

Thank you, Miss Thistlebottom. ...RM

Richard Mateosian Freelance Technical Writer
srm -at- c2 -dot- org Copyright 1996 Review Editor, IEEE Micro
http://www.c2.org/~srm/ All rights reserved President, Berkeley STC