Writing to accommodate Windows 3.1 and Win95

Subject: Writing to accommodate Windows 3.1 and Win95
From: Steve Osvold <shewi -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 18:02:50 -0800

I've been away for the list for several weeks, and I apologize if this topic
has been covered in recent memory. Here's my problem:

I've just taken a position with a software developer whose products run on
Windows 3.1, Windows 95 and Macintosh. Until the introduction of Windows 95,
the tech writing team was able to accommodate operating environment
differences fairly gracefully. With a third environment, though, the
differences in screen elements, methods for launching applications, and so
on, are becoming a bit much to manage. OS-specific documentation isn't viable.

Have any of you dealt with this issue? If so, how--and how effective do you
feel your solutions have been? Please post to me privately. If there's
enough interest, I'll summarize the responses for the list.

Thanks!

Steve Osvold
shewi -at- earthlink -dot- com