Re: Mac Help Engines

Subject: Re: Mac Help Engines
From: "Matthew B. Hicks" <matt -at- UNIDATA -dot- UCAR -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 09:49:26 -0700

On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, Anne Weiler wrote:

> I was wondering what Mac Help Engines people were using. We have an
> internal tool that we've been using, but it needs some repairs, so instead
> I'm looking for a possible new tool. We're not currently doing
> cross-platform development, although we may in the future. I've looked at
> Quick Help and EHelp. Are there any other tools out there?

> Anne

> PS The help we produce *must* be context-sensitive.

Anne:

Have you looked at Apple's own Apple Guide at all? I've been reading up
on it in preparation for creating a couple of tutorials and it seems like
a pretty good system (although I'm new to the world of online help). I
picked up the book "Real World Apple Guide", which is pretty good if you
can overlook the perplexing spell-checker-would-have-caught-it typos
that pop up with some regularity. The book comes with a CD that includes
Guidemaker, a utility that automates some parts of the process. Anyway,
it allows for context sensitivity. The biggest limitation is that it only
works under System 7.5, but that's been shipping with new Macs since '94.
Depending on the requirements of your software, this may not be a
limitation at all.

-Matt Hicks
matt -at- unidata -dot- ucar -dot- edu
Owner of the Dal-l Web pages: