Re: Converting HELP files to RTF files

Subject: Re: Converting HELP files to RTF files
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 14:43:21 -0800

At 10:31 PM 3/19/96 GMT, Charles Good wrote:
>There are lots of commercial products for converting .rtf source files
>into .hlp help project files. However, I am not aware of anything that
>will reverse the process. In fact, most authors of help information
>systems do not want customers to be able to reconstruct the source files.

Ooops! Not exactly, Charles. The original Winhelp decompiler was
called Smartdoc, and was, I believe, shareware. RoboHelp Office
now includes a help decompiler. Other authoring environments are
probably offering similar utilities.

Smartdoc would also allow you to print an entire help file.

[snip]
>It's bad enough that the standard help engine
>allows you to copy text (which you can paste into a notepad window).

And I'm not sure why you think this is a bad thing. I have often
taken advantage of this capability, and even automated it for my
users by including a Copy macro attached to a button. It's great
for including sample text -- batch files, code snipettes, etc.

-Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com