Re: Developing Online Docs

Subject: Re: Developing Online Docs
From: Karla McMaster <mcmaster%pcmail -dot- cti-pet -dot- com -at- CTI-PET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 15:30:00 EST

I,too, am very interested in the questions Beryl poses, as I am the sole tech
writer at a mid-sized company and am facing a big push to go online. I have
previously written context-sensitive help with hypertext links (not here), but
the operative words here seem to be "put the manual online." I'm uncertain how
successful this will be, as it seems to me the structure should differ (haven't
we talked about this before?).

I also was wondering about putting the manuals on the Web. I've tossed this
idea out and been pooh-poohed, as several have commented that the first to
access them would be our competitors. Has anyone else heard this argument, or
had an experience that would indicate caution is warranted?

Karla McMaster, technical writer
CTI PET Systems, Inc., Knoxville, TN
mcmaster -at- cti-pet -dot- com