Editing Tests

Subject: Editing Tests
From: "Daniel E. Wise" <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 22:34:07 -0800

It has been some years since I had the responsibility for hiring staff,
but at that time we could not administer formal tests under the
groundrules set forth by EEOC. Have the rules changed? ETS is
currently under fire for the SAT being racially biased, if my
information is current. How valid can their TW test be?

With writer/editors I found that both the candidates and I learned a
great deal about each other through having the candidates, at the end
of the interview, hand write a summary of their understanding of the
job based on the information they had gleaned in that short time. It
gave me a sample of unedited material as well as an idea of how well I
had communicated. It gave candidates the opportunity to have
misunderstandings corrected before the hiring process went further.

"Twasn't at all scientific, but it worked for me, at that time, under
those specific circumstances.

Dan Wise
dewise -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com
38 years a TC and still learning

Since I work for me, I have no one else to speak for