Re[2]: Need for new paradigm/toolset (Was: Impact of info

Subject: Re[2]: Need for new paradigm/toolset (Was: Impact of info
From: Joyce Flaherty <flahertj -at- SMTPGW -dot- LIEBERT -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 06:33:07 EST

SubRe[2]: database search and retrieval that provides
modular information, version control, and output format

Tim Altom wrote:
> <snip> The conditions you're talking about are so hideously
> complex that even software isn't enough to cut it down to
> size. It requires the services of documentation management
> professionals, people who specialize in archiving and
> retrieving drawings, chunks, and other parts of documents.

*so hideously complex?*--I certainly hope you are wrong.
This is the job I have to do, and *hideously complex* is
not something I do everyday.

*services of documentation management professionals,
people who specialize in archiving and retrieving
drawings, chunks, and other parts of documents?*--Are we
not all documentation management professionals at some
level? What do you do with your softcopy files? Do you
store them on your hard disk, LAN, tape, or whatever, in
some logical manner. Do you create *chunks and other
parts of documents?* Do you reuse items that are
reusable? Do you have your own personal softcopy filing
system? Does it work? Can you articulate how it works.

You have a gift with words Tim (possibly a bit of a
personality problem, but a gift with words just the
same). If you can articulate how your personal filing
systems works, I can program the interface commands to
index the information, store it, and retrieve it in a
manner that is not *hideously complex.*

joyce flaherty
flahertj -at- smtpgw -dot- liebert -dot- com