Re: Re. writing and liability?

Subject: Re: Re. writing and liability?
From: Mercedes Abels <maa5906 -at- GRIFFON -dot- MWSC -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 06:49:07 -0600

> > So what's the real story? Has anyone out there in
> > getting nailed as a result of problematic writing?
> >
> > --Geoff Hart @8^{)}
> > geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

My company manufactures vehicles and equipment fir the utility industry,
the trucks with elevators and personnel platforms that raise workers up
to work on energized electrical lines. We have been successfully sued
over the content and wording of our manuals in the past.

When an individual is hurt on the job and a lawsuit is filed, everything
possible is examined. Part of the hassle we got over the manuals was that
they were not consistent, some things were described one way in one
manual, another way in a manual for different model. We have since
established uniform safety alerts, text modules for unit component and an
outline that is followed to the letter in every manual. I am working now
on getting them to use an index.

Marci Abels
maa5906 -at- griffon -dot- mwsc -dot- edu