Re[2]: British English in _tech writing_

Subject: Re[2]: British English in _tech writing_
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 13:31:00 -0600

Just in case anybody else wants to respond to this, please,
please, please read what I asked for and consider that this
*is* the technical writing list, not the OffTopic list. I
said that the hood/bonnet stuff was _irrelevant_ to tech
writing. Could somebody think of some examples that *are*
relevant to tech writing? Other stuff is amusing, but it
should go on private notes to friends or on some other list,
not here.

My, didn't *we* get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!

OK, how about "one Billion?" The word can be used in many kinds of scientific
and economic contexts, many of them easily within the purview of a technical
writer (sometimes even of that rarest of creatures, the software technical
writer). And, if I recall my "British" correctly, the American will envision a
number 1000 times less than the Britisher.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124