chemical hoods.

Subject: chemical hoods.
From: David Ibbetson <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 18:07:17 -0500

1) We call them by different names. That was the original point. Another
name I might use is "fume cabinet". Either way I would be looking under the
wrong letter.

2) I was playing with bunsen burners at school from the time I was 12 or 14.
There was a master gas tap outside the junior physics lab. I don't remember
it being used. In those days (1945-52) we handled mercury with our bare
hands. When I was around 16, I was shown the sample of radium, wrapped in
lead foil, that was kept in the masters' room. As the labs dated back to
before 1900 the sample was doubtless bought long before there were any
government controls. I don't think I heard of "etnas" until after I came to
Canada.
"For forms of government let fools contest,
Whate'er is best administered is best." -- Pope

David Ibbetson, 133 Wilton St, #506, Toronto, M5A 4A4
ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com (416)363-6692 fax (416)363-4987