Re: chemical hoods

Subject: Re: chemical hoods
From: Stewart Walker <stewart -dot- walker -at- CPE -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 16:25:25 +1000

Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 08:49:00 PST
From: Marilynne Smith <mrsmith -at- CTS -dot- COM>

David Ibbetson wrote:
>Are those the things one finds in chemistry laboratories? If so, I think I
>would call it a fume extractor.

Marilynne Smith replied:
>If you have technicians of the uneducated sort working with the fume
>extractor, you had better call it some sort of hood. You might even call it
>a ventilated hood for removing dangerous fumes. In this case, it's very
>important to know who your reader is. What is written on the hood? A
>chemist is different in his understanding than a technician or a student.

My AUD$0.02:
------------
When I did high school and university chemistry, they were called fume
cupboards (I missed the opening instalment - sorry if this is where you
started from!). This may be an Australian term, so as Marilynne says, it's
very important to know who your reader is.

Cheers

Stewart
"I love being a writer . . . what I can't stand is the paperwork"
-Peter De Vries

Stewart Walker
Technical Writer
Computer Power Education, ITS R&D Project
L4, 493 St Kilda Rd Melbourne 3004
Australia
Ph: In Australia - 03 9243 2317 International - 613 9243 2317
Fax: In Australia - 03 9820 2010 International - 613 9820 2010
E-mail: stewart -dot- walker -at- cpe -dot- com -dot- au
Check out our ever-improving web site at http://www.cpe.com.au