Re: writing and liability

Subject: Re: writing and liability
From: rjl -at- BOSTECH -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 11:42:59 EST

We've drifted away from the original point, but there is still some very
relevant discussion here. Sue Galllagher asked:

>How many of us have ever actually *met* someone who uses our product????
>How many of us have ever seen our product in-use in a real-world
>situation????

Good questions. During the years I spent working on those mil-spec manuals,
I regularly had face-to-face meetings with the actual users. Sometimes
they came to our site, sometimes I went to the AF bases.

In the past two years, working on software products for commericial use,
the only times I've actually seen customers was during a two-week training
course I took in '94. I asked some specific questions about the manuals,
got some input I took back to the tech pubs group...and they were -shocked-
by how far off the mark some of our assumptions were.

Rick Lippincott
Boston Technology
Wakefield, MA
rjl -at- bostech -dot- com