Re: Online help

Subject: Re: Online help
From: Charles Good <good -at- AUR -dot- ALCATEL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 20:47:43 GMT

I think you have hit upon a key problem with online help... it tends to be
context specific with limited content. Many users want examples and
procedures to be online. Wizards have eliminated some of this demand.
However, users have a life time's worth of experience using paper and
it is the preferred medium for making personal notes (in margins),
marking text (with a highlighter), and flagging pages (with a post-it
or dog ear the corners).

Despite efforts to mimick these capabilities with online help, it is not
the same and it susceptible to all the problems that plague computers.
Despite fire and water, paper is pretty tough and durable. People trust
it and will probably always want it. Making you pay extra for it is
what has changed. Personally, I would like to get the books for free
and be given the option of paying extra for online help.