Re: To Dialog or Not To Dialog

Subject: Re: To Dialog or Not To Dialog
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH2 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 14:33:36 MST

Kris wrote:
>>"Dialog" is jargon. IMHO, a large percentage of computer users think of
>>"dialog" as an oral interaction between two people.
>>
>>I prefer "window."

Sue Gallagher <sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com> replied:
> But it's not a window. A window can have a menu and is resizeable.
> A dialog box can't/isn't. IMO, using the wrong terminology is a
> disservice to the user. You do not build on any prior knowledge
> the user may have and you do not reinforce the platform standards.

Sue, I agree with you. Calling every square box that pops up on
the screen a "window" serves only to teach the user the wrong
terminology. You may think you're helping the user by keeping
everything simple and generic, but when the user moves to a
different product--one that follows industry standard--he or she
will be faced with conflicting terms for the same objects.

I bet we all know a few people who still refer to the hard disk
as "memory." I know several, and some are computer
professionals {{shudder}}. It's a clear case of being taught
the incorrect term--probably for simplicity's sake--in the
beginning.

Beverly Parks -- bparks -at- huachuca-emh2 -dot- army -dot- mil
The opinions expressed are my own.