CHAT: memory (formerlyRe: To Dialog or Not To Dialog)

Subject: CHAT: memory (formerlyRe: To Dialog or Not To Dialog)
From: David Ibbetson <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 1996 11:24:14 -0500

John Posada wants to call hard-disc "storage" rather than "memory".

What single word do techwhirlers use for all levels from cache through
CD-roms in a juke-box to manually-mounted magnetic tapes?

Some people use computer terminology to refer to biological brains. In such
contexts books are also memory. Come to think of it, what about OCR?

I can't accept that the type/speed of a particular memory-type is always
relevant. It depends on the audience and the context. A distinction might be
made between memories whose contents can be used at once and those whose
contents must be transferred to a higher level before they can be used. But
as I implied in my previous message this is implementation-dependent. I've
used a machine with a drum and a handful of registers.

I'm wandering dangerously far from the original topic, hence CHAT.

David Ibbetson Phone: (416) 363-6692
133 Wilton Street, #506 Fax: (416) 363-4987
Toronto, Ontario Internet: ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com
Canada M5A 4A4