Re: Word 6.0 Master Document Page Numbers

Subject: Re: Word 6.0 Master Document Page Numbers
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 11:19:44 -0700

At 12:11 PM 3/20/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Kris!

>I just saw your message regarding compiling an index and thought you might be
>able to help me with another problem I'm having with Word. I'm using chapter
>numbers in my page numbers (i.e. 1-1, 2-1, etc.), and that is working well.
> I would like to use page numbers In-1, In-2, etc. for the index, and I would
>like to use page numbers Gl-1, Gl-2, etc. for the glossary. Do you know how
>to do this in Word?

Don't use the master document feature. It's a disaster. Here's an excerpt
from a mail message I wrote to someone else on the same subject. It explains
how to do the index with a master document.

The easiest way to do this is to put each chapter, the TOC, the glossary,
and the index in separate files. Then you simply "hardcode" the "Gl-" and
"In-" in the footers. With field codes viewable, your footers should look
something like this:

Gl-{PAGE} and In-{PAGE}

To generate the TOC, use RD fields in the TOC file. Hardcode your TOC
entries for the Glossary and the Index. See the Word online help for
information about RD fields. If you need more help, let me know and I'll
send you one of my TOC files as an example.

If you are indexing glossary entries, this presents another challenge. What
I do is to put a SEQ field at the top of the glossary file:

{SEQ chapter \r 101}

Make sure your INDEX field contains the \s switch followed by the word
"chapter"; for example, {INDEX \s chapter}. Then, after compiling the index
(once again, use RD fields in the index file), all of the index entries
coming from the glossary will be numbered 101-1, 101-2, etc. You can do a
global search and replace to change all "101-" to "Gl-".

This works really well for me. I have written Word Basic macros to do all of
the search and replace grunt work for me.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions!

Regards...Kris
kjolberg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com (preferred)
kjolberg -at- aol -dot- com
102031 -dot- 3556 -at- compuserve -dot- com