Innumerate?

Subject: Innumerate?
From: Cynthia Smathers <cynthia -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 05:48:53 GMT

On Wed, 10 Apr 1996 20:57:47 -0100 (EDT), stbrown -at- nacs -dot- net (Stan Brown)
wrote:

>There is a tendency to look at something with numbers and assume that
>it actually means something -- and the more numbers, the more meaning.

This isn't exactly on-topic for the thread, and may not be considered
on-topic for the list. But I had occasion this past week (at work) to want
to use the equivalent of "illiterate" as regards numbers (or maths or
however you wish to put it). Now we know, at least since the book by the
title was published, that "Innumeracy" would be used in place of
"illiteracy" in a similar situation. But "innumerate" sounds wrong to me.
What would the proper word be?

Thanks,
Cyn
cynthia -at- mindspring -dot- com
http://www.mindspring.com/~cynthia
If you think you know all the answers, you haven't asked all the questions.

Finger for copyright & commercial email notices.