Re: Writing Portfolios

Subject: Re: Writing Portfolios
From: UC Bobby Collins <ucbcolli -at- SYSTEMA -dot- WESTARK -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 10:08:43 -0600

> I'm gathering info on how technical writing teachers help their students put
> together portfolios. I'm familiar with the rationale and the benefits. What
> I'm looking for is ideas on putting a portfolio together physically. Thanks,
> Mary Massirer (mary_massirer -at- baylor -dot- edu)

I'm having great success with a three-ring binder. It is a subdued
cranberry color, and my examples, if single page, are in transparent
sleeves; other wise, I set several-page samples of manuals or reports
behind tabbed page dividers. I have a couple of copies of magazine
ads I've created and a nicely bound annual report slipped into the
pocket in the back so that the client can pull these out and handle
them. In the front pocket, I have my brochure and cards.

As I said this has been well received. I usually hand it over to them
and let them flip through it while I give comments and answer
questions. They always take a brochure and card...and usually place
an order.

Bobby Collins
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
Westark University Center Site, Ft. Smith, Ark.
e-mail:UCBCOLLI -at- systema -dot- westark -dot- edu