Re: Another internet copyright question

Subject: Re: Another internet copyright question
From: Eric Brown <eric_brown -at- SFU -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 17:21:19 -0800

As someone who has received a considerable quantity of e-mail on the
internet copyright question, I'd like to advise the would-be researcher
that you should treat all material and authors with respect. Ask
permission, pay royalties if necessary, and most importantly get the quotes
and author's intentions _right_. And give credit!

I'd also like to caution writers not too take the legal copyright issue too
seriously. All laws, copyright or whatever, are only meaningful if they are
enforceable. At the moment anything on the internet can go just about
anywhere, and can be copied and re-used by just about anyone. So I'd
caution anyone not to put anything on the net that they wouldn't want to
see reproduced elsewhere. Don't rely on any laws to protect you, you may be
sorely disappointed.

Eric Brown
Marketing Communications
869 Drayton Street