Re: Bending the rules

Subject: Re: Bending the rules
From: David Marcus & Peggy Lamberson <zorro -at- NETDEPOT -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 16:52:41 -0400

In email on Sat, 13 Apr 1996 16:42:15 +0100, Lawrence Baron wrote:

| David I do not understand the sentiments of your VP. Mucking up a job is
| even less cost effective IMO.

Simply that the cost of going from 99% perfect to 100% is too high, both in
terms of work hours and project delays. I understand it in the context of
getting a release out the door vs. delaying in order to resolve a relatively
fine point concernng a feature that only a small percentage of people use.
Or delaying perhaps to get a really great index in a manual that has only a
fair index.

On the other hand, I want all of my communications to be factually and
grammatically correct and understandable--perfect in those senses--and it
drives me crazy when I can't get the info I need (because either the
programmers are too busy fixing grade 'A' bugs or because nobody know an
answer and the research would take too long to complete) and have to dance
around a point or simply not put in a bit of information that I think the
reader would find useful.

"Perfection is not cost effective", though, is a way of saying that we live
in the real world and if we take the time to actually achieve perfection we
will have lost so much market share ... well, you get the idea.

Does that make more sense?

David

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net