Re: Web-authoring tools

Subject: Re: Web-authoring tools
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 18:23:41 -0700

>I've been asked to make a recommendation as to which Web-authoring tool our
>division should go with ...

>criteria:

> - speed
> - reasonable set of features (does not have to be the latest whiz-bang deal)
> - ease of use
> - solid company, with good update policy, support, documentation, and other
> peripheries
> - track record (not a first release out the door)
> - allow multiple authors on a project

What are you looking for in the way of a track record? All Web
technology is basically new. Web-authoring tools - that is,
tools that let you write HTML direct as opposed to translating
from a DTP - are less than 6 months old at version 1.0.

To describe the problem another way, I'm writing HTML code direct
with an old-fashioned VI screen editor (not even DTP). It's fast,
it's got an excellent set of features, I find it easy to use and
UNIX has a great track record. Best of all, lots of Tech Writers
can use VI on a project.

So can you provide more information? What OS do you have? What
is a "reasonable" set of features? Is Netscape a 'solid company'?
And for that matter, is MicroSoft?.

There are some tools out there, but I need a much better picture of what
you're trying to do.

David (The Man) Blyth
Technical Writer & Web Site Designer
Qualcomm

The usual disclaimers apply - I don't speak for QUALCOMM, they don't speak
for me....

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net