Re: Search routine

Subject: Re: Search routine
From: John Posada <jposada -at- NOTES -dot- CC -dot- BELLCORE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 08:32:44 -0400

A few days ago John Posada gave an interesting description of his method of
blanket sending ascii resumes. John, what was that routine that pulled out
the email and fax numbers from the job postings? Sounds very useful.

------ Reply ------------

It isn't necessarily a routine as most people would think. (C++ code, etc.)
It was simply the use of a program that I use that has a feature that is useful
for this purpose.

Lotus used to have a program called Magellan. It is a front-end DOS shell that
is used for moving files, launching programs, etc. However, one of the
features used for my purpose was the ability to look into ASCII text (as well
as other formats) and display only the lines of text in the document containing
only a string of text that you chose. I simply used the character "@" to
"compress" the file to only the lines of text containing the @ sign. I then
copy that text to a separate .txt file, load it into an ascii editor, clean off
any other text that appears on the line and take it from there.

The same process for fax numbers. Most people place the word "fax" on the same
line as the number. Just search for the word, clean off any garbade text and
you have your list.

John Posada
Technical Writer
Bell Communications Research, Piscataway, NJ
(908) 699-5839 (W)
jposada -at- notes -dot- cc -dot- bellcore -dot- com (W)

"Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things"
- Vice President Dan Quayle 11/30/1988
Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net