Re[2]: Certificates, diplomas, etc. (#630789)

Subject: Re[2]: Certificates, diplomas, etc. (#630789)
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 06:43:00 -0600

>As a teacher of organizational communications, I agree that there's
>nothing sacred about certificates and diplomas. However, I'd want
>everyone to try to see differences between education and training --
>while it's easy to be self-trained, it's much harder to be self-
>educated.

Hmmm. I agree that training and education are different, but my
experience doesn't confirm your explanation. If you refer to
education without any external influences, I'd have to accept your
idea (darn near impossible, I'd say). If you mean that it's easier
for people to be taught than to pursue knowledge on their own, I'd say
that a few members of this list are exceptions to your rule (myself
included). Could you clarify your meaning?

Count me as agreeing with Bill (again). Anyone who thinks it isn't possible
to obtain a good education with no other aid than a decent municipal library
has obviously been spending too much time on campus. For some people, having
a living, breathing human instructor and a collection of fellow students to
lead them through the process is an aid. For others it's a hindrance.

Have fun,
Arlen

arlen -dot- p -dot- walker -at- jci -dot- com
Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net