Re[2]: DTP and Writing (and related)

Subject: Re[2]: DTP and Writing (and related)
From: Joyce Flaherty <flahertj -at- SMTPGW -dot- LIEBERT -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 09:28:22 EST

on 04-19-96 Victor Chapel, victor -at- TRCINC -dot- COM wrote:
<snip>
> the best TWs I know can use _every_ tool they need to take a
> document from nothing to deliverable. <snip>

and Nora Merhar, merhar -at- switch -dot- rockwell -dot- com wrote:
<snip>
> Why would I want to write my document and then have someone
> else DTP it? It would take me twice as long to explain
> exactly what I want done as it does to do it myself. <snip>
==================================

The best writer I know composes functional specs and the like
at 60 wpm--awesome to watch!

Another writer I know uses PFS (I think) and brain dumps at
about 50 wpm after any interview. He doesn't spell check,
format, or do graphics. He depends on a graphics illustrator
and an editor to prepare final copy.

I think it would be criminal in either case to even suggest
that these individuals learn a DTP pkg. These are very
talented and prolific writers who prefer to pass the DTP task
to individuals trained in that area.

BTW, the salary of the first is in six figures. The salary
of the second approaches six figures. They are both
captive. I don't pretend to have that kind of talent, so I
write, and design, and develop, and use lots of tools.

joyce flaherty
flahertj -at- smtpgw -dot- liebert -dot- com

"all generalizations are false, including this one"
source unknown

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net