Sexual Orientation......

Subject: Sexual Orientation......
From: Sharon Hewitt <sharonh -at- TALKPSI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 10:43:02 -0400

John Gear has quite a lot to say about this subject...to some items, I just have to speak up.

Sexual orientation is not, and should not be, part of technical communications, or any other profession. I'm heterosexual, but that fact has NEVER been mentioned during my career -- and not because I am a mainstream married woman...I'm not.

Many groups claim to want 'equality' (for lack of a better term), but members of these groups are the first to jump up and proclaim their difference. Maybe people just no longer want to hear about how this person is different for sexual orientation reasons...this person is different for race reasons...this person, for religious reasons. Who cares...can you do the job? Are you a nice person to have lunch with? Is your partner (same sex or not) a nice person to socialize with during off hours? By asking to be singled out, you are indeed separating yourself from the "mainstream', whatever definition you choose.

As for benefits...a few years ago I wanted to keep health insurance coverage on my 19 year old son who was not a full time student and who was out of work. Guess what...my health insurance would not carry him. This is a different issue entirely. Furthermore, in Florida, if you get fired for being gay (and only for being gay), then you have a very good lawsuit. But getting fired for sexual harrassment is an entirely different matter.

My advise is to leave your sexual preferences where they belong... at home... when you're in a professional environment. Most people do!

Sharon Hewitt
sharonh -at- talkpsi -dot- com

My opinions are solely mine.

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net