Re: Nonstandard HTML

Subject: Re: Nonstandard HTML
From: Nancy Hayes <nancyh -at- PMAFIRE -dot- INEL -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 15:18:52 GMT

First, I have used non-standard HTML. Sometimes it's the only way to get
the layout to work. And before anyone freaks out and tells me I don't
have control of the layout, I'm talking about things like using an extra
etc. It works on =most= browsers.

The problem that I see with non-standard HTML isn't that not every
browser can read it. Using non-standard HTML doesn't solve the bigger
issue that HTML doesn't always have everything we need. Another problem
w/ non-standard HTML is that more and more of the browsers aren't simply
ignoring the non-standard tags; they're scrambling the document.

I don't think there is an easy solution--at least not until enough of us
figure out a way to approach the group at www.w3.org with modifications.
Until then, we can use standard HTML, use non-standard w/ the realization
that it's on borrowed time, or use something besides HTML.

Nancy Lynn Hayes (nancyh -at- pmafire -dot- inel -dot- gov) Carpe Diem
Seize the Day!

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net