Trademarks

Subject: Trademarks
From: Wolf Lahti <wduby -at- PACCAR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 13:05:22 -0700

Someone said

>I don't know its current status, but when I wrote
>Mac documentation in the early days of that computer, the Macinosh name
>actually belonged to the high-end stereo (sp. Mackintosh, I think) folks
>but they had licenced its use to Apple for computer products.

Then Richard Mateosian said

>Perhaps, or maybe you're remembering the situation with Apple Records, the
>Beatles' company.

Apple had to change their original choice of name McIntosh to avoid conflict
with the stereo-equipment manufacturer. The spelling Macintosh is a
marketing-created entity--though you often see signs for "Macintosh apples"
in the grocery store made by clerks who don't know any better. (Presumably
the same ones that tell us that the "banana's" are on sale.)

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net