Re: Indexes for Discussion Lists (such as this)

Subject: Re: Indexes for Discussion Lists (such as this)
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 12:23:48 -0400

Zvi -dot- Newman -at- ECITELE -dot- COM wrote:
>I'm new here, but I'm in favor of both indexed subjects and digest form.
>I think these changes would make the list easier to work with on the
>subscriber end, especially for people who receive large quantities of
>e-mail.

It's interesting to see how different our mail-reading habits are.

Some of us really do prefer to get -individual- messages from an active
list like this one.

With individual messages, I can set up a convenient filter in my email
software that automatically puts my TECHWR-L messages in a separate folder.
Once a day, I open that folder and sort the messages by subject. I can
delete any subjects I'm not interested in, and only read the stuff I want.
With the digest, I would be forced to scroll through -every-
message---much more time-consuming, in my experience. I'm stuck with that
on a couple of mailing lists I subscribe to, and I don't like it---even
with an index.

This list offers us the option of getting our mail either way. If anyone
prefers the digest, then it is easy to change your subscription
specifications to -get- the digest. The instructions are in the
Administrivia message that Eric send when we subscribe. If any of you have
lost (or deleted) it, let me know. I'd be glad to send you a copy.

@Kat _______________________________ katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
Kat Nagel MasterWork Consulting Services, Rochester, NY
Technical writing / Document design / Information services

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net